Get behind the scenes of a LEED-certified Platinum building in Philadelphia. Platinum is the highest rating for sustainability; LEED is an internationally recognized green building certification system. Discover the amazing features of what it takes to get the much-sought, but extremely difficult Platinum rating, an honor bestowed to only a few buildings in the country. Geothermal wells heat and cool the building using pipes running 400 feet into the earth; green roofs grow a variety a plants on the roof; and all storm water is collected and used on-site. Specific design features that earned the building Platinum LEED certification include: A ground-source heat pump for heating and air conditioning that uses about one-fourth the energy of a typical HVAC system – Photovoltaic panels for energy generation – Super insulation to eliminate infiltration of outside air – Maximized fresh air ventilation inside – Solar hot water heaters – Storm water collection for use in flushing toilets and irrigation – Skylights, photocell sensors and roof monitors to minimize energy use – Rain gardens and other collection systems to mitigate storm water run-off – Green roofs to capture and absorb rain and to help reduce the ambient temperature during the summer The Center’s everyday purpose is to provide workspace for the Arboretum staff. It houses offices, conference rooms, a kitchen and break room, locker rooms, a mechanic and arborists’ shop as well as storage for equipment. The space also …
Areas of Interest
- How do I know when I can recycle a computer component, and when it's safe to throw it out?
- How much, an average if possible, does it cost to install a windmill?
- Do you think everyone should do there best to recycle?
- The Fascination of Kite Power
- Powerful Solar Power Charger Enough To Get Laptop Going
- PARABOLIC TROUGH REFLECTOR SOLAR WATER HEATER GREEN POWER
- Homebrew Solar Panel 60Watts
- 3 FRESNEL LENS SOLAR HEATER SUN COLLECTION GREEN ENERGY
- Homemade Solar Food Dehydrator
- Repower America - Bill Nye, The Science Guy
- Infinia Stirling Solar Generator
- Solar Furnace
- Start a Revolution / Clean Energy SmartPower.org Contest
- How It's Made - Solar Panels
What We AreALTERNATIVE battery BUILD Certification Clean cost Design Earth Efficiency efficient Electric ENERGY Environmental First Free Geo Thermal global GREEN GRID Heat homes House installation Jobs Leed light nuclear Panel plants POWER pump Recycle Recycling renewable roof School Solar sustainability Sustainable Technology TURBINE Video Water Wind Windmill